What is the Cost of Care?
What is the Cost of Care?
You’re not alone if you’ve asked the question ‘what is the cost of care?’ It takes research and time to understand. First, it’s important to figure out what care costs in your area.
Secondly, review your budget to determine how much money you’re able to set aside for future care.
With proper planning you can be prepared to pay for care services in the event you need them.
Services and the Cost of Care
Home Health Care
Home health care is exactly what it sounds like. A service to use in your own home for an illness or injury. The services could be for post-surgery, therapy, or for dependent health reasons.
- $4,195/month is the Cincinnati, OH area average for a home health aide.
- $20.50/hour is the national averages for a home health aide.
Adult Day Care
Adult day care provides day time services at a community center. For instance these services may include:
- Health services
- Social activities
Many families pair Adult Day Care with home health care services because it offers social engagement for the participant and respite for family caregivers.
- $1,560/month is the Cincinnati, OH area average for adult day health care.
- $68/day is the national average for an adult day health care center.
Assisted living facilities provide services for people who need assistance with activities of daily living such as eating, dressing, bathing, transferring and toileting. This is an intermediate level of long-term care and therefore not as extensive as care in a nursing home.
- $4,998/month is the Cincinnati, OH area average for assisted living.
- $119/day or $3,628/month are the national averages for a one-bedroom unit in an assisted living facility.
Nursing home care is a higher level of service than assisted living. People living in a nursing care facility receive:
- Room and board
- Therapy and rehab
- Skilled nursing care 24/7
In addition to being the most costly, nursing home care is the most comprehensive care that you may need.
- $8,213/month is the Cincinnati, OH area average for a nursing care private room.
- $253/day or $7,698/month are the national averages for a private room nursing home.
Overall, the cost of aging in your own home is less than the cost of a care facility.
Consider working with a Care Coordinator to help you manage services and understand costs. As a result you’ll have a better understanding of what you need and how to get it.
All costs in this blog are on the Genworth website, click here to see them.
Confident Living is a continuing care at home membership program, focused on helping you remain active and independent as you age in your own home. We serve the greater Cincinnati area. For more information, contact us online or call (513) 719-3522.